Friday, August 8, 2014

For Paul

I was so close I could almost touch him!

I am still in shock over the events of last night! My head is seriously reeling with what can only be called the greatest night of my life. I was about to call this post the "best, greatest, most incredible, happiest, most unbelievable night" but decided some people might find that excessive.  If you've spent more than 10 minutes talking to me you understand I have a deep and abiding love (obsession?) for The Beatles, and most especially Paul McCartney. When Tyler and I were dating there were many occasions where I had to clarify that Paul would, at one point or another in our marriage, come first!  Luckily Tyler is a good sport and indulged me a little.  So when it was announced shortly after our wedding that none other than Paul McCartney was coming to town I did a little more than freak out.  While Tyler lives with my undying love for Paul, he's not willing to spend his life's savings on tickets (I would stop at no price to get close to Paul). So for compromise's sake we went with the best seats in the nosebleed section when selecting our seat choice.  While a little disappointed, I knew that as long as I got to be in the same room as Paul I'd be freaking out more than a 25 year old, 5 decades too late should.  I had the night planned: we'd get dinner and get to the venue at least 45 minutes before the concert started so I had plenty of time to fangirl out, get an overpriced t-shirt with Paul's face all over it and get to our seats so I could scope out the area.  I bought Tyler a Beatles shirt to wear before we went so he didn't feel so entirely out of place and the night got a little bit of a later start than I would have liked, but oh my laws did that work out for the best!  We pushed our way through the massive blob that was supposed to be the lines for fan gear, got the shirt I wanted and headed up the stairs to the nosebleeds.  As luck would have it, there happened to be a PR guy (or some other officially titled person) walking up the stairs at the same time.  As we reached the top of the stairs he approached us-Tyler was worried he was trying to sell us stuff-and offered us FLOOR SEATS ON THE SECOND ROW, CENTER SECTION!!! I about kissed the guy I was so excited! I started freaking out, to which he quickly replied "Save it for Paul!" We rushed down the stairs looking for the portal to the Floor Section.  I was shaking from the inside out, my stomach was in knots, my fingers were digging into Tyler's arm as we walked and I couldn't stop squealing like a little girl. There were about 15 of us that had been moved down from the nosebleeds to the front 2 rows and we all became fast friends-screaming, freaking out, one girl was even crying (no, not me-although I was veeery close).  We sat next to some very nice people, exchanged stories about previous Paul concerts and how we came to be sitting in those seats.  Turns out the people next to us spend $1500 A TICKET!  And here I was thinking I was the crazy one.  The husband was a little upset that we didn't spend as much as they did and actually got better seats, but we also didn't get the commemorative beer and backpacks (I do not feel jipped at all) So yes, the second Paul came on stage I screamed just like all those crazy girls in the first wave of Beatlemania.  I sang every song, I danced the entire time, I barely took my eyes off the stage (just to make sure tyler was still there) and had the most fun I've ever had in my life. He played for about 2 1/2 hours, had a fireworks, flames and confetti display in the middle of the show, paid tribute to his (first) wife Linda and his current wife Nancy, sang lots of my favorite songs and looked directly at me at least twice-it could have been more, but then again, he could have been looking at the chick next to me too. Even as we walked out of the venue I was squealing, jumping up and down, and couldn't wipe the foolish grin off my face. I woke up this morning still in disbelief, I've listened to nothing but The Beatles for the last week or so and have no plans to stop that streak. I want to tell everyone about it and show them all the pictures I took!!  I'll display a few here, just to prove to myself I was really there.
Eye contact, see it?!



It was a million degrees, but oh so fun!

Tribute to the late George Harrison

The most hardcore picture of Paul rocking out with flames around him!



1 comment:

  1. For a guy who is 7 years older than me, how come he always looks 10 or 15 younger than I do?

    ReplyDelete